Thursday, March 23, 2006

A pi day record!

Congratulations to all the students involved!

Hi there,

My name is Veronica Han-G Benes and I am a MS Math teacher at Westlake Christian School, in Palm Harbor, Florida. I am sending you this email as I have emailed Gene Potter. He gave me your email address and suggested that I email you in regards to what our MS math class has done for National Pi Day, last Tuesday.

My students participated in several various events, which I received various ideas from mathwithmrherte.com. Some of them included citing as many circular objects in the world, circular songs, memorizing digits of Pi, measuring various objects for circumference and area as well as, making a Pi chain.

I understand that North Clayton High, (in an article written by Jeffrey Whitfield) stated they made a 5,000 link Pi chain.

Well, after some research I had seen on Mr. Herte's website that a school in Ohio had made a chain back in 2002 of 5201 links! I am so happy to say that my math students made a Pi chain of 7,095 digits!! It was so impressive that I had our local paper, St. Petersburg Times have a photographer sent over so they could take a pictuer. I am happy to say that we were photographed on Wednesday, March 15th in our Pinellas Times Section of the paper.

I was hoping you could help me so that I could have my students listed somehow, on a record list. In addition, I have a 7th grade student who has memorized 254 digits of Pi!!

I am so happy my students were able to participate in this experience and have a great time...

Please advise me how I can get my students noticed...

Thank you so much!

Veronica Han-G BenesMS Math Teacher
Westlake Christian School
1551 Belcher Road
Palm Harbor, FL 34683

No comments: