Sunday, October 02, 2005

How cool is this?

One of my favorite sections in Newsweek is the Perspectives Section that lists unusual quotes from around the country. The last couple of months, they have asked readers to send in a quote and get attribution for it. Well, when I was doing my program on Sunsounds of Arizona http://www.sunsounds.org a couple of weeks ago, I saw a great quote from a legislator. It was about the controversy where the government wants, in fact they have banned machines in grade school, middle school, and junior high; to ban fast food machines in schools. Some legislators want to extend the ban to high schools. Common sense tells you that this is rediculous. However, Republican common sense apparently dictates putting their nose in the midst of a lot of other peoples business.

So, I sent the quote in. They called late Friday and said it should be in the Newsweek that hits the stands tomorrow, monday, morning. How cool is that?

Here is the request from the guy at Newsweek. Nearly dumped it since I did not know who he was. He had left a message on my work phone....

Hi Mike, We're interested in using the quote you submitted for next week's Perspectives page! I left a message on your voicemail--I just need to confirm your information (name, hometown, source). Thanks for replying soonest.
Nick Summers Newsweek
perspectives@newsweek.com Subject: quote from Arizona
"We trust 16 year-old students to drive a 4000 pound vehicle on the highway, but not to eat a Snickers? They can join the Army and handle an M-16, but they can't handle a pack of Skittles?" Senator Dean Martin, R-6 commenting on proposed Snack ban in High School. www.Arizona capitoltimes.com

How weird our world is.....

No comments: